Every year, hundreds of innovations occur within the lead battery industry – from packaging and technology to equipment, chemistry and beyond. The goal of the Sally Breidegam Miksiewsicz Innovation Award is to collect all of these innovations and showcase them to both the industry and the public.
The award was established to honor industry thought leader, Sally Breidegam Miksiewicz, former CEO of East Penn Manufacturing Co.
Submissions for the 2023 Innovation Award were due by February 10, 2023.
The following guidelines should be considered when submitting an innovation. Entries do not need to align with all guidelines. Providing multiple supporting documents that align with these guidelines will give judges additional insight and clarity on your submission.
- Sustainability - How does your submission show environmental stewardship? Provide tangible aspirations, goals and objectives in helping to create a greener tomorrow.
- Safety - Does your submission show product and/or process stability? Can it be safely commercialized? Demonstrate a clear commitment to the safety of the general public and industry.
- Cost - Can the submission be easily commercialized and/or provide cost-optimized advantages? Is it an affordable alternative to existing technologies and processes?
- Performance - Show how your innovation meets its intended key objectives, goals and benefits.
- Uniqueness - How does it differ from existing products? Information should clearly define what makes this product, process and/or discovery unique.
- Value - How does the submission directly benefit the lead battery industry? Can the product be utilized outside of the company that created it?
- The Award is open to companies and individuals from around Globe, including BCI members and non-members.
- Innovations must have been implemented within the past 12 months.
- Companies can submit more than one entry, but each innovation may only be submitted once.
- Submissions must be submitted via the portal and include:
- Short summary of product/service (400 words)
- Brief overview of organization involved and the ways it supports this innovation (if applicable) (500 words)
- Technical drawings/diagrams as needed to explain innovation
- Resumes’ of product/service creators
- Contact info
- Companies are asked to provide a maximum 90 second video to be displayed at the BCI Convention if the submission is accepted for display
Congratulations to the 2022 Innovation Award Winner!
Advanced Battery Concept's Home Emergency Energy Storage system addresses the growing need for homeowners and small commercial facilities to have security and peace-of-mind when the grid goes down. The HEES systems easily scale to meet the diverse energy needs of a variety of home and small business owners. It is built on a foundation of GreenSeal bipolar lead acid battery technology supported by a portfolio of 50+ patents and trade secrets. It produces a system solution to the residential energy stability issues plaguing aging grid infrastructure and overburdened sources. Additionally, the technology couples with solar installations for a true micro grid solution.
Hollingsworth & Vose Co. and Daramic received an honorable mention for their submission.
Thank you to all companies that submitted innovations. View the 2022 submissions here.